A little of this and some of that
Nebraska’s unemployment rate decreased from 8.7% in April to 5.2% in May. The lowest in the nation.
The tax rate on motor fuels will increase from 29.3 cents per gallon (Jan 1 – Jun 30, 2020) to 33.2 cents per gallon (Jul 1 – Dec 31, 2020).
Gov. Ricketts told local government officials they would not receive a share of the $100 million CARES Act recovery funding if they require citizens to wear masks in public buildings.
- New social distancing guidelines go into effect tomorrow for all 93 counties. The following guidelines apply to all counties except Hall, Hamilton, Merrick, and Dakota Counties:Fans attending youth games are limited to 75% of the venue capacity
- Elective surgeries are no longer restricted
- Bars and restaurants may open to 100% of their rated capacity. A maximum of eight people are allowed per group, and six-foot distancing between tables is now a mere suggestion. Self-serve buffets/salad bars are prohibited, but you can shoot darts or play pool and arcade games.
- Nursing homes may now accept visitors who test for COVID-19. Child-care facilities can now take more kids.
- Theaters, libraries, and indoor venues may open to 50% capacity. Outdoor venues capacities may now operate at 75% capacity. 10,000 people max.
- Indoor gatherings are limited to 50% of rated occupancy -10,000 people max.
- Outdoor gatherings are limited to 75% of a facility’s rated occupancy – 10,000 people max.
- Gyms, health spas, barbershops and beauty salons, tattoo parlors, etc. are limited to 75% of capacity.
- Weddings and funerals may fill 100% capacity of a venue. Dance to your heart’s content at the reception.
- Parades, street dances, carnivals, beer gardens, and midways are still taboo.
Happy Father’s Day to all you great dads!
LB187 SUPPORT (Hilkeman)
- Adds two new definitions to an eligible sports arena facility to the Sports Arena Facility Financing Assistance Act.
- Any sports complex which includes concession areas, parking facilities and onsite administrative offices connected with operating the sports complex.
- A multipurpose field meaning a rectangular field of grass or synthetic turf which is primarily used for competitive field sports, that may include soccer, football, flag football, lacrosse or rugby.
- The bill repeals the occupancy requirement to receive a turn back of sales tax and replaces occupancy with project completion date.
LB1084 (Kolterman) MONITOR
- The Nebraska Transformational Project Act would provide $300 million in state funding to the University of Nebraska Medical Center for their NExT Project.
- NExT Project has two components: a state of the art academic medical center facility and a federal all-hazard disaster response military and civilian partnership.
- UNMC must show an economic impact to Nebraska of at least $2.7 billion during the planning and construction period and at least $4.9 billion over ten years.
FAILED TO ADVANCE
LB974 MONITOR (Linehan) REVENUE COMMITTEE PRIORITY BILL
- This is a complex property tax and school funding bill. As amended by AM2433, the bill would reduce property taxes as a major source of funding for K-12 education.
- Real property would be valued at 95% of actual value for tax year 2020.
- In tax year 2021, real property would be valued at 91%of actual value.
- In tax year 2022, and thereafter, real property would be valued at 86% of actual value.